Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

March 20, 2011

Rosemary Cornish Hens

Funny story. My mama is from Harlan, KY. The South. And she sometimes has an adorable accent. For much of my childhood, she would make a chicken-like bird called Cornish Hen. Only... she didn't call it Cornish Hen. She called it

Cornachean.

I'm trying to spell it like it would sound. Corn-a-che-an.

So I grew up until I was a teen thinking that we were enjoying a delicious meal called cornachean. When really, it was cornish hen. Dunno how I got that from that. That's that country twang for ya  : ) Love that country accent though. AND I've been known to mistake many words in my day....

Like in a particular song I can think of.... I really thought she was saying "You're my CEO."  And she was saying "When I see you." That happens alot. It makes me laugh at myself that I hear something totally wrong and off the wall, that doesn't make sense half the time.

So use a cornish hen. Don't try to go to the grocery store looking for a cornachean  : ) 















Anyways, start out rinsing your hens thoroughly. Then pat them dry with paper towels. Place the hen(s) in a shallow bowl or dish and pour the buttermilk on top, covering the hen(s). Let marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, turning half way through. 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare the cornbread stuffing according to the directions on the package. Once it is prepared, add the egg to the stuffing and mix. Then line a pan with foil. Remove the hen(s) from the buttermilk and place them on the pan. 

Generously season all sides with the chicken rub, salt, and pepper. That is the only process shot I got.


















Stuff the insides with the cornbread stuffing, then secure the legs with string. Bake for about 30 minutes, depending on the size of your cornish hen. We had a little tiny baby hen, so we knew we wouldn't need to bake it for as long as the original recipe called for. After 30 minutes of baking, remove from the oven and drizzle olive oil on it and sprinkle with fresh rosemary. Put them back in the oven for another 30 minutes (again, depends on the size of your hen). All done : )

Rosemary Cornish Hen
slightly adapted from Thyme for Wine 
  • 1 small cornish game hen, gizzards removed and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
  • cornbread stuffing mix, like Stovetop
  • 1 egg
  • salt, pepper, and chicken rub for seasoning
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil 
Rinse hen thoroughly. Then pat dry with paper towels. Place the hen in a shallow bowl or dish and pour the buttermilk on top, covering the hen. Let marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, turning half way through. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Prepare the cornbread stuffing according to the directions on the package. Once prepared, add the egg to the stuffing and mix. Then line a pan with foil. Remove the hen from the buttermilk and place it on the pan. Generously season all sides with the chicken rub, salt, and pepper. Stuff the insides with the cornbread stuffing, then secure the legs with string. Bake for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of baking, remove from the oven and drizzle olive oil on it and sprinkle with fresh rosemary. Bake for another 30 minutes.

Linking up to a new linky I just came across.... Mangia Mondays at Delightfully Dowling.


I can't wait to make these again. It's been awhile!


Peace, and bacon grease!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

desi - this looks SOOO good! i've never had cornachean before... ;) this definitely makes me want to try it!

Desi said...

Cornish hen is delish, Kristin! Tastes similar to chicken : ) Let me know if you like it!