Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

September 19, 2011

September's Secret Recipe Club Reveal - Molten Lava Cakes



















I'm back with another round of The Secret Recipe Club! For the month of September, I was assigned the blog, Cook with Sara. There were some enticing recipes to choose from, such as her Caramel Chocolate Bars, Caramel Macchiato Cheesecake (OMG!), and Lemon Poppyseed Muffins. There were an endless number of possibilities. I want to make them all, and one day I will! But for now, the perfect recipe that was calling me was her Molten Chocolate Cakes. How ironic, because PJ and I were just talking a little while back how we loved the Molten Cakes from Domino's Pizza, and wanted to find out how to make them at home. So as soon as I saw that recipe, I knew it was the one. 


























PJ and I were both wondering, how the heck is it gonna be a cake-like substance on the outside, while being liquidy on the inside? I knew it had the flour and eggs to make it a cake-like consistency. But we both were just concerned if the inside would still be all "molten". And wondering what the heck would make it distinguish the two... how would it be able to be both cake-like on the outside while liquidy on the inside?! And as promised, it was :)

We didn't have any ramekins to bake the cakes in, so I had to run out to Kroger to buy some. They had some large-sized ones, but they looked too big for individual cakes, yet the 4 oz. ramekins seemed ultra tiny. I opted for the 4 oz. minis though and figured it's better to have a smaller cake and call it a mini molten chocolate cake rather than have a giant cake that one can't finish off! So this recipe ended up filling three 4 oz. ramekins, but that was with me filling them up almost to the top. I think next time I would fill them less so they wouldn't rise as much and poof up so high, which made them look more like a rounded souffle rather than flat-topped molten cake. I'll definitely be experimenting with different recipes to see which tastes the best as well as yields the best texture and shape. But these were great for a start, and I was pretty impressed since it was my first time. It really is a lot simpler than it seems. Don't let them scare you! You just whisk everything together basically in one large pot, then bake them in ramekins. Nothing hard about it at all. It seems so much more difficult and fancier than it really is. Which I'm all about!!!


We also used semisweet chocolate chips specifically, but you could use semisweet chocolate squares if you have those. We also topped them with some more powdered sugar at the end, for prettiness.


I'm having issues with the names of these thingies, though. So are they called Molten Chocolate Cakes? Or Chocolate Lava Cakes? Or Molten Lava Cakes? I like the word "lava"... so I would love to change the name of these to Molten Lava Cakes. Can I do that? I think I'm gonna....    :)


So here's some delicious Molten Lava Cakes, courtesy of Sara, and I hope you likey.


Molten Lava Cakes
  • 4 oz. semisweet chocolates
  • ½ cup butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 6 tbsp flour
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Once butter is melted, add in the chocolate, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Whisk in the powdered sugar, mix together. Whisk in the eggs and egg yolks, mixing together. Whisk in the flour and mix well until incorporated.

Pour into three greased 4 0z ramekins. Place ramekins on a baking sheet, for easy handling. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 1 minute, then carefully run a knife around the cake edges and invert the ramekins onto individual plates. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.


Printable Recipe


 

















I'm also linking up to:
On the Menu Monday
Joy of Desserts
2 Maids a Baking
Just Another Meatless Monday
My Meatless Mondays
MMMM
Tasty Tuesdays @ 33 Shades of Green
Hearth and Soul Hop
Tasty Tuesday @ Beauty and Bedlam
What's on Your Plate?
Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday
Tuesday's Tantalising Taste
Show Me What Ya Got

We really liked these molten cakes. I don't think they were as good as the ones from Domino's (I never thought I'd say that!!!), which cook up to more of a dark brown and crispier texture. Maybe next time we'd cook them for a bit longer. But we still devoured them all!

Check out everyone's contributions to this month's Secret Recipe Club in the blog hop below. And don't forget to check out the Secret Recipe Club and join, if interested. I strongly recommend that you do!


Secret Recipe Club




Peace, and bacon grease!






42 comments:

Mary said...

YUM! I've had a couple of chocolate lava cakes on my to do list for a long time now. These look lovely!

Michael said...

Looks delish!

Trisha said...

Look at that gooey chocolately goodness. Such a fabulous treat!!!

Sara said...

I'm so glad you liked these. This is one of the simplest molten choc cake recipes I've seen, using ingredients I always have on hand, so I knew it would be a winner. It's a fun way to impress guests too!

Kristen said...

Those cakes would satisfy even the strongest chocolate craving. YUM!!

Gloria Baker said...

These look delicious!!! gloria

Erin said...

Holy heck! These look wonderful!!!

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife said...

Oh these look so so good! Chocolatey gooeyness, yes please!
Jo-Anna

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

So delicious! These look very good. I can taste the warm chocolate. I would love if you would link up to my linky party that starts Tuesday. <a href="http://www.crazyforcrust.com>Crazy for Crust</a>

Lisa~~ said...

Oh my they look delicious and I would love to be tasting one right now.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Ilke said...

The name of the cake got me here :) I love the ones at Chili's. They have molten chocolate cake as well.
I always wondered how they do this, I will definitely try and see how it works this weekend!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

A huge favorite of mine! Mind you anything chocolate is ha ha.
Take care..

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

My vote is to call them Molten Lava Cakes!! You picked really beautiful ramekins - love them.

I'm new to the SRC this month. I hope you'll stop by and pay me a visit.

:)
ButterYum

Heather S-G said...

Oh yeah! Molten lava cakes are one of my major weaknesses...like sinning and going to heaven all at the same time ;) They look awesome!

Unknown said...

Those cakes look absolutely perfect. I'd love to try one, however, I imagine that you don't deliver :-)

Island Vittles said...

Double YUM! Who doesn't like molten lava cakes -- and they're so quick and easy! Theresa

Allison said...

Molten lava cakes are one sure fire way to my husbands heart. These look so perfect ... a nice thin crust on top and a gooey center. Oh my!

LaPhemmePhoodie said...

Molten lava cakes are one of my favorite desserts. I would've picked this to make too. Looks incredible!

HoosierHomemade said...

Those look incredible! Anything chocolate is always a hit with me!
Excited to be in SRC with you!
~Liz

Angie A said...

Oh my YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:) awesome!

Julie said...

You're telling me Domino's has molten chocolate, lava cakes :). There's one across the street from me! That's dangerous to know.

These look delicious. Stopping by from SRC!

Tiffanee said...

Those are so cute and delicious looking! I have always wanted to make these. Thanks for giving me inspiration!!

Vivian Thiele said...

We love these when that intense chocolate craving hits. Great SRC choice!

Amy Anderson said...

I love that look when it all spills out of the middle. Yum!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Amy said...

Yum! Looks great – I’m loving SRC — so many new recipes to try!

Lynne Daley said...

Oh, my-how decadent! I'll have to make this for my chocolate loving family.

Chelle B said...

I am beyond giddy right now. I have all of the ingredients on hand to make these. Can't wait to try them. Yummy!

Swathi said...

Molten chocolate cake looks awesome. thanks for sharing with hearth and soul blog hop.

KB and Whitesnake said...

Yum. Thanks for sharing with Simply Delish.

Janie said...

I've been wanting to try these for forever!! I need to make a list of recipes to try and get to it!

Desi said...

@ Mary - I can't wait to test out some more recipes too!

@ Aimee - Thanks, lady! As did your SRC contribution, your peach galette :)

@ Trisha - Yes it twas! Your tzatziki looked pretty delish too!

@ Ilke - I haven't been to Chili's in forever and have never tried their molten cake. Could you believe I used to not like chocolate cake?! Absurd, I know! And I hope the recipe works well for you :)

@ ButterYum - I like the word "molten" ... and "lava" sounds cool in reference to food. And I like my mini ramekins too, thanks! Welcome to SRC, loved your post!

@ Dan - Wonder if I could ship some to you? :)

@ Island Vittles - I was so surprised at how quick and easy they are to make. I imagined them to be super difficult but not at all!

@ Allison - I love the contrast of the crust to the gooeyness. I bet these are a good way to any man's heart!

@ LaPhemmePhoodie - They are now one of my fave desserts too! Just had some from Domino's last night, actually :)

@ HoosierHomemade - Thanks for stoppin by from SRC. And I agree, I don't think there is one bad chocolate recipe out there!

@ Julie - Yes, try them! They are much crunchier than these ones... mmm I love them so. I just had one last night and I'm now day dreaming about it :) Domino's has improved since my teen years when they were horrible! Thanks for stopping by from SRC :)

Desi said...

@ Pretend Chef - Isn't it great that most items are already in our pantries? I think I had everything on hand too! Glad these could make you giddy :)

@ Swathi - You're welcome, and thank you for commenting!

PERMANENT POSIES said...

Yummy! I love ooey gooey chocolate! Thanks for sharing.

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

From the photos it looks like you did a good job. They look delicious. Thank you for linking at Joy of Desserts.

Danielle said...

My husband would love these and I love the fact that it only makes 3!

Thanks for welcoming me to the group. It seems like a great group to be a part of.

Unknown said...

Hi Desi! My oh my.. I love the character of your blog and your choc lava cakes are simply stunning. I love it.. yummmmm.. thanks for buzzing me at my blog. I think I'm not a great writer.. hehe.. oh well :).. Am definitely following you back. Hugs, Jo

Desi said...

@ Jo - You are the cutest! And don't be hard on yourself... you are a GREAT writer! I've had tons of fun perusing over your blog. I could get lost there for hours!!!! Thanks for the follow-back... so looking forward to getting to know you better!

kyleen said...

These look so ooey and gooey. My friend made these last summer *cough when we were suppose to be studying for exams*

Desi said...

@ Kyleen - I'll take chocolate cake over studying any day :)

Chris said...

I think the concept of the molten lava cakes is really cool but I don't care for sweets much and they are just "too much of a good thing" for me. Alexis doesn't mind, she'll always eat my share, haha.

Pradhan mantri yojana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pradhan mantri yojana said...

Excellent post and also this blog. Thank you for sharing with us.
কেক বানানোর রেসিপি
অ্যাভোকাডো