Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

June 19, 2012

Cilantro Jalapeno Limeade {Eating the Alphabet Series}



I'm joining the Eating the Alphabet challenge this month, and the letters for this month are I or J... and remember?... it's gotta be a fruit, vegetable, or legume/grain. Not many options that I could come up with... j for jicama, but I'm not sure that I like it. I could have been adventurous but in the end, I went with the good ole jalapeno.

So many possibilities! But the one that really intrigued me and won me over was this Cilantro Jalapeno Limeade. Don't give me that look! I figured I would either love it or hate it. The reviews were very good, so I hoped I would think the same. I told PJ that I was making this and he thought it sounded strange, which I expected. But I told you guys that I love an opportunity to change his mind. But would this recipe do that?...



















The answer is yes! This limeade was somethin else. That perfect combination of tangy, tart, sweet, refreshing and spicy.

One of the best limeades I've had. 






















Cilantro Jalapeno Limeade
ever-so-slightly adapted from Myrecipes

*Yields 2 large servings
  • 2 and 1/4 cups water
  • 3/8 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (and 2 large jalapenos)
  • 1 tsbp sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3 lime wedges, divided
  • 3/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 3-4 limes)
  • ice
Combine the first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and jalapeno. Let stand for 30 minutes. Pour jalapeno mixture into a large bowl or leave in pot, cover, and chill for at least 3 hours. I let mine sit overnight.

Combine 1 tbsp sugar and the salt in a shallow dish. Rub rims of 2 glasses with a lime wedge. Dip the rims of the glasses into the sugar/salt mixture.

Strain cilantro and jalapeno mixture through a fine sieve over a bowl, discarding solids. Stir in lime juice. Fill each prepared glass with ice. Add limeade to each glass. Garnish with 2 remaining lime wedges.

Printable Recipe



















This drink screams summer!  

So don't let your summer pass by without trying this pleasure. I know we will be making this plenty.




















Peace, and bacon grease!


12 comments:

Morsels of Life | CJ Huang said...

This limeade sounds like an interesting combo. I'll have to give it a try!

Miz Helen said...

Ohhhhh Desi,
That is an awesome drink that I can't wait to try! Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Veronica Miller said...

So a jicama is adventurous, but cilantro and jalapeno in a limeade is just what everyone drinks right? lol! I was going to comment how adventurous you are with food (like in your bacon smoothie) and had to laugh when I saw that you made this adventurous limeade because you were shying away from something that you were afraid to try! The irony! Is killing me! hahaha I get it though, I'm adventurous in certain ways and not in others too. But you should just buy a jicama, it's not scary--it's really crisp and has a mild flavor. It can add some nice crunch to a salad and goes well with fruit too. I believe in you! :) Oh yes, and this limeade is so brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm visiting from the Anything Goes link party. This drink sounds yummy ... I'm definitely putting it on my to do list this weekend.

Carolyn
{my simple messterpiece}

Elsa said...

This is a great idea! I've never heard of this combo before. Sounds great! Thanks so much for sharing!

Chris said...

That sounds absolutely twisted. In a good way of course!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Mmmm...I might have to add tequila. :)

df said...

very nice info Read Books Online

Adorned From Above said...

Looks great. Thanks for linking With Adorned From Above.
Debi
www.adornedfromabove.com

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations!
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a fabulous week end and enjoy your new Red Plate!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen

April J Harris said...

What a gorgeous, spicy and refreshing summer drink. I love the layers of flavours you have used!

smith andrew said...

The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lots of great information
http://www.lamorena.com.mx/