Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

January 11, 2014

Leftover Carnitas Grilled Cheese Melt

Remember those glorious Crockpot Carnitas I told you about the other day?

And I was all proud that I thought of using the leftovers to make a grilled cheese? (It's the little things that make me feel accomplished, people)!

Well, here it is.

Leftover carnitas + sliced avocado make for the perfect grilled cheese.

Use however much carnitas per sandwich that you desire. I suggest not overdoing it on the meat on each sandwich... you wanna be able to taste all that ooey gooey oozing cheese! It is a grilled cheese, after all. I used 2 slices of pepper jack cheese per sandwich like I usually would for my grilled cheeses, but I think I put just a bit too much carnitas on it because I wanted more cheese!!!

And use whatever kind of Mexican cheese you like. Monterey jack, pepper jack, or even get fancy with some Manchego. Whatever you do, don't skimp on the cheese!


Leftover Carnitas Grilled Cheese Melt
a SteakNPotatoesKindaGurl original

*Yields: 2 sandwiches
  • leftover Crockpot Carnitas
  • 4 slices of bread
  • 3-4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • sliced Mexican cheese (pepper jack, monterey jack, Manchego, whatever you'd like!)
  • 1 avocado, sliced
Dip one side of each slice of bread in melted butter. To make two sandwiches at once, place 2 slices, butter-side down in a preheated large skillet. Top with cheese slice(s), carnitas, avocado slices, cheese slice(s), then a slice of bread with butter side up. Flip both to brown on other side.


Printable Recipe









































I'm gonna make these again and again. Not only because I need a better photo with oozy melted cheese, but because I LOVE LOVE LOVE these carnitas and the possibilities with them! I can't wait to get creative with more ideas.

Flavorful, tender, melt-in-your-mouth pork goodness with that perfect balance of crispiness, paired with tons of cheese and creamy avocado on a comforting grilled cheese sandwich. Done done and done.

Linking up here.


Peace, and bacon grease!